West of Scotland Regional Equality Council (WSREC) is a voluntary organisation and registered as a charity limited by Guarantee as of 1st April 2006.
WSREC is one of the four Regional Equality Councils in Scotland and its area of operation covers almost half of Scotland with twelve local authorities. The area has the largest Minority Ethnic population with many diverse needs including the specific needs of Asylum Seeker/Refugee and new Central & Eastern European communities in conjunction with the established minority ethnic communities.
WSREC services focus on Promoting Good Community Relations between all residents in our area of operation. Other activities include advocacy, policy and community development, campaigning and promoting equality and justice for all and advice. Addtionally WSREC has diversified into equality and diversity Training and Consultancy.
What do we do?
- Provide equality services based on justice and fairness within our area of operations
- Provided information and signposting to victims of discrimination
- Partnership working: championing diversity and equality by working in partnership across all sectors and communities
- Identify gaps for equality groups within the public sector provision.
- Resources are sought to deal with these inequalities in the shape of projects
Specialised services (for the public, private and voluntary sector)
- Provide bespoke training and awareness on equality and diversity to employers and service providers.
- Development of up-to-date and secure policies and strategies in line with current equality legislation and practice.
- Engagement, facilitation and pathways to diverse networks with local diverse groups
- Mobilise local diverse communities to become involved in initiatives and consultations
- Link to equality and diversity learning opportunities including’ Professional Practice in Race Equality’ run in partnership between University of the West of Scotland and WSREC
- Conduct and facilitate social research.
- Provide assistance in production of organisational training material i.e. Drama’s/DVD’s